Friday 2 December 2011

New Idea

After presenting my idea and gaining a bit of a negative response, I was a bit annoyed, but I payed much more attention to the other pitches and the response my tutor was giving to others. And pure inspiration struck...

In my nature I tend to tap beats and rhythms, pretty much ALL the time. In fact so much, that even as I type here, my feet are tapping to themselves! This definitely comes from my passion in music, and the fact i'm a drummer.
So I was sitting on a table in the session (there was no chairs left >:S ) and my legs were swinging, and I was tapping my feet in mid-air, to no music. And I thought, what if the I used the audience for the Twilight event to create the projection for me. I would give them the tools and they would do all the work. So here it is, my new idea:

The city hall seating plan looks like this:

View from the Stage

Birds-eye-view of Theatre

In the section at the front, there is a rectangular section of seats containing 25x7 seats. In a grid, that looks like this:

Grid structure of seats

So my idea is this: I would use pressure pads/mats across the feet of every seat in this section. When the pressure pad is tapped on, an on-screen projection of that action would be represented with a flash or colour, or, depending on the seat, a section of a letter, in the relevant screen-space.
The image below provides a more visual representation of this:


If someone sitting in a white seat taps the pad, on screen they would see a small flash or light or colour. If someone sitting in one of the red seats which spells 'Alight' taps the pad, a small section of their letter would flicker on screen. By the audience working together tapping feet, they would spell the word 'Alight' complete with a vibrant background together. A little bit like this:


If this was used during a performance, and the audience reactively tapped their feet to the beat, the screen would mimic the rhythm. This would look very visually interesting and engage the audience in the performance itself.
This could also be used with other letters in the strap-line;


If some clever coding was involved (which I don't know how to do!), the screen could change throughout the show between each letter.

This idea engages the audience in the performance itself, becoming part of the overall experience, and would definitely be something they would remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment